Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Healthier Spaghetti

I *heart* pasta- it's one of my favorite things to eat. When the husband and I first started our life style change, our pasta intake was limited to an ounce of dry pasta (about 2 ozs cooked). It was horribly depressing, so we didn't eat pasta that often. But as our calorie intake was slowly increased, we now eat the 2 oz normal serving size, but we only eat the healthier pasta from Barilla (in the yellow box). It has extra protein, fiber and omega 3 fatty acids- all of which add up to a longer lasting, more filling meal. I also make "mini meatballs" (which is really 93% lean ground turkey with just a bit of breadcrumbs sprinkled across the top right after throwing it in the non-stick skillet, along with garlic, garlic powder, salt and paper to taste- then just mix it in the pan as you cook it). I no longer use store bought sauce- I use diced tomatoes, add some water and season that to taste with garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. We've been eating pasta this way for so long, I didn't even realize that I no longer even like store bought sauce until I made dinner with it one night for the in-laws and was completely disgusted.

So- pasta 200 calories
serving of meat (4 oz): 110, breadcrumbs- 50 or so calories-
"sauce": @50 calories

Still enough room for salad!!

No comments: