Thursday, June 7, 2007

Morningstar Veggie Bites

While on our lifestyle change, I found myself struggling with breakfast foods. Cereal, no matter how much fiber it has, lasts like an hour in my system. I can't stand oatmeal, and breakfast bars don't often last long either. My tolerance for eggs is limited (there's only so many days in a row I can scramble some eggs before they start to make me nauseous at the thought of them), so I started looking into vegetarian alternatives. It was then that I discovered Morningstar's Veggie Bites. They look something like chicken nuggets on the outside, but there are many different flavors and fillings. I cautiously bought a box and found, to my delight, that they're really good. I particularly enjoy the Country Scramble, which contains "eggs" and "sausage" along with other chopped up veggies. I also like the Eggs Florentine (but if you don't like spinach, you may want to try another flavor). The only one I'm not crazy about is the Spinach and Artichoke, because I'm not a huge artichoke person. But, they were ok, and I finished the box anyway. The only flavor I haven't tried is Broccoli and Cheddar, which I'm sure is good, but wasn't breakfast-y enough for me.

The serving size is 3 for 160 calories, but I usually eat four and am pretty well set for a few hours. Pair them with a piece of fruit, and you've got a great healthy, low cal breakfast.

No comments: