Thursday, June 14, 2007

How'd We Do It?

Now that my husband and I have lost weight, people are always asking us how. I signed up for www.ediets.com and we followed the Type 2 Diabetes diet because it runs in both our families and that's what was suggested for us. We started out eating between 350-400 calories per meal plus 2 100 calorie snacks. The great thing about Ediets is that they give you a ton of different diets to follow (Suzanna Somers, Mediterranean...you name it) so if you aren't happy with one, you can try out another. They give you your menus for the week and a shopping list so you know exactly (I mean exactly- down to the teaspoon) what you need to buy at the store. I had no clue as to what serving sizes were, and was completely surprised at how much overeating we'd actually been doing. The key is get a good scale (I recommend a digital one over any other type because it's more exact) and really measure everything out. Eventually you'll be able to know by sight how much a serving is, but this is a great way to learn. For example, I always assumed that a chicken breast was pretty much a serving- but it's actually almost two depending on how big the breast is (I've weighed some to be 8 ozs- twice the recommended serving of 4 oz).

Am I an expert on weight loss? Uh uh. But this program worked for me and my husband and made it easy for us to learn (no- it wasn't easy being hungry in the beginning, but you've got to stick to the plan and it will work!). I couldn't have done it on my own. So if you need help check out ediets. It's only $15 a month, and they ask you to sign up for three months. You can cancel before that, but they'll charge you an early cancellation fee (mostly because I think it's there way of encouraging you to stick with it). They also have forums for support and staff that you can contact via instant message should you have questions or need advice. The more you put into it, they more you'll get out of it, and the more weight you'll lose.

No comments: